Thursday, November 6, 2008

Baracking the Presidency: Hopeful & Discouraged

Something that I did not tell many people was that, in the last few weeks leading up to the election, and especially the day of the election, I was filled with an encompassing sense of dread. I was sure that Obama would have the Presidency wrenched from him in some devious way, or we'd see some repeat of 2000 or 2004.

I was scared, and I was sick...and my stomach was talking to me all day.

When Obama won Pennsylvania and then Ohio, I forgot my worries. To me, this process was like football is for heterosexuals. I was screaming at the TV, opunching my fists. And when he was declared President-elect, so relatively quickly and decisively, I was elated.

I felt that our country, one that I love, was finally hading in the right direction. After eight years of darkness, I could see the light. I'm sure a lot of people felt that way.

I listened to McCain's concession speech, breathing a sight of relief. I listened to Obama's speech, and realized something. For the first time in my adult life (with the exception of Hillary Clinton's campaign) I felt....hope, excitement, like maybe finally someone would be in the White House who cared about me and my friends and the people I love. Like maybe Obama will unite us, take steps to stregnthen the economy, maybe even become an ally to gay people.

I went to bed happy, and slept well.

Then I woke up. And during Wednesday I heard that Prop * had passed in California...

I was crestfallen. It was an outcome that represents rampant fear, ignorance and antiquated value judgements. More proof that homophobia and discrimination against homosexuals really is the last form of socially aceptable prejudice.

I'm deeply sorry for anyone in California that Prop 8 will effect. It is a social injustice that we should not stand for. I am profoundly sad and discouraged,

When will things change? How long do we have to wait for what should be ours without asking?

?

?

?

No comments: